Calling Vote for Aboriginal Peoples "Bullshit" crosses the line


As a federal candidate in this election and a proud and deeply engaged and respected Aboriginal woman I am not only voting I am running for a seat. This is certainly not because of excessive greed for money or power. I can see from the example of the Maori government that participation has benefits for all people, not just those that have Ph.D's or permanent position in Institutions like UVIC.  We have to carry our voices wherever they might help those that need it and can hear it.  How dare anyone call the hard and dedicated work of thousands of Aboriginal peoples across this country "bullshit" how nice to sit on such a high seat of judgement and make those decrees against your own peoples. I have spent my entire life working hard to protect the interests of my community and to elevate Native issues across Canada and the US. I dropped out of school at 16 and have a Ph.D. today, and tell young people they can achieve even more by getting an education and being engaged in their society and knowing more about the larger world. I have been in the trenches most of my life, live on reserve and have taught at U of T.  I admire and support the many people I have met and had the privilege of working with from HS drop-outs to Native CEO's, academics, and yes, politicians on both sides of the table. I would never judge them to be less than and would certainly never call the work they do "bullshit" we are all doing our level best to improve conditions for Native people, to put forth the true history of this land, and to install pride in our people.  We tend to treaty rights, territorial jurisdiction, and a share of this country's resources, and we run for political positions that will give a loud and inclusive voice to those we protect and support.  In my humble opinion, there is no "bullshit" in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment